The threat of COVID-19 increases every day, with a higher number of cases emerging every 24 hours. While the Healthcare Providers battle on the frontline, it is of utmost importance that there is proper maintenance and prevention of contamination of medical devices from COVID-19.
There are a few methods to be duly noted before working with any medical equipment.
1. Discard Single-Use Cleansing Items:
Single-Use Items such as Scrub Brushes for cleaning flexible endoscope lumens, should specifically not be reused since a worn brush can leave behind bristles in the endoscope, which may be contaminated with COVID.
2. Use of Hydrogen Peroxide:
Regular use of disinfectants such as Hydrogen Peroxide is recommended for cleansing of biomedical equipment rather than bleach since it effectively and safely degrades into water and oxygen on exposure to light. Although, a few other chemicals such as Ethylene Oxide and Ozone have also been used as disinfectants.
3. Plasma Gas Sterilization:
Here, low-temperature Hydrogen Peroxide-based gas plasma is used inside a chamber, that kills any kind of microorganisms on medical as well as dental equipment, including all kinds of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and spores. This sterilization procedure is safe for both the environment and the medical staff, including biomedical service engineers.
4. Disposable Instrument Cleaning Wipes:
Using disposable wipes post sanitization spray to clean equipment helps prevent cross-contamination, as they are not put to repeated use. Although, the use of the wipes should be done only while using safety gloves in the process.
- Please note that conventional techniques of sanitizing medical equipment such as Steam Sterilization and Dry Heat Sterilization are not effective while working in a COVID-19 prone environment, as the virus has been proved to be stable even in high-temperature conditions.